5/09/2006

This is what I'm sayin'!!!


Yes. I'm Jewish... but quite a bit far from the princess thing... maybe a little chai maintenance at times but to a not-qualified-for-JAP-labeling level.

I'm blogging because things intrigue me... people intrigue me...religion intrigues me...family values intrigue me... medicine intrigues me and I also think bloggin' is a fun way to fight boredom, which happens even if I have no time whatsoever for it waking up at 5am to train Martial Arts, running to get ready for work, going to work, heading to yoga, running errands whenever they can be run, keeping my house in order, attempting to keep a social life and trying to find my life accomplice ... I'll post one day about being a Single White Female (have you watched the movie? I had a SWF experience a couple of yrs ago.... freaky!!!), the next day we might talk about Sex & the City and the next we might be talking about cholesterol or accutane... or who knows? Reggeaton could be a subject to talk about... I want your feedback, people, and the more opinionated the more welcome your comments will be.

Now to the real blogging thing.

I woke up with a serious issue in my head: when did wanting to get married and form a family become a sign of weakness? I read somewhere that in Germany 50% of households are SINGLE households. Yes. 50% of Germany's population is living in the saddest of solitude. WHY???? Why would anybody do this? I personally believe every person should live alone for a while, but only for a while, in order to appreciate the marvel of having a family to share your life with.

I was having some wine with my girls last night... (these are my closest friends, the women who know almost all about me, whom I can trust with most of my darkest deepest thoughts and/or mischiefs) and there I was finding myself keeping my comments to myself, because what I really wanted to say was...enough is enough of being single!!! I WANT A HUSBAND TO SHARE HAPPINESS AND SADNESS. I WANT SOMEONE TO HUG AND PAMPER. I WANT TO MAKE LITTLE PEOPLE AND FILL THE WORLD AROUND ME WITH SMILES. But I couldn't say it. I could not come to tell them that's what I wanted because I KNOW my friends. They'd think I'm weak. They'd think I'm not happy with myself and need a man to base my happiness on.

Now, if I couldn't say it to my sidekicks, imagine on a date! I haven't said any of this to he-who-rocks-my-world. The taboo of wanting to form a family scares the heck out of any person with XY chromosomes. Rabbi Shmuley Boteach said something like this once: (totally paraphrasing cause I can't find his exact words at the time) A woman asked him why her boyfriend wouldn't marry her. She said they live together and they already have a daughter but he doesn't buy a ring or pop the question. The rabbi said, if you went to a bank to get a loan, and they would give you the money you want without you having to sign papers or leave any guarantee, would you be dumb enough to ask to sign full-of-commitment-documents that would bind you for life? Or would you just take the money and enjoy it while it lasts?

So there it is, people, I want to know if I am insane for believing in the institution of marriage. For wanting children yelling at my ear and cleaning their yucky noses on my shirt. For believing my being single and economically independant doesn't make me stronger than a happily married soccer mom. I wanna be a soccer mom. Or a rebbetzin. Or a soccer rebbetzin, but a mom nevertheless. A wife, a lover, a life accomplice. I WANT A LIFE FILLED WITH LOVE!!! This is what I'm sayin'!!!!






No comments: